Santiago is the Secretariat (CEO/CIO) of the Fondo de Ahorro de Panamá (Panama’s Sovereign Wealth Fund), a ~$1.4 billion investment vehicle for stabilization and intergenerational wealth-creation; the Fund invests in global public and private markets, and in a variety of financial instruments.
He has over 22 years of financial experience in the financial sector, including executive roles in equity investment research, investment banking, restructuring and financial regulation.
Prior to his current role, he was an equity investment research executive at Morgan Stanley in New York covering the energy and industrial sectors (over $270 billion in market cap.) and worked in teams that consistently ranked No. 1 in equity research. Earlier in his career, Santiago served as a financial analyst at the US Securities & Exchange Commission overseeing financial/regulatory matters at broker-dealers and asset managers, and also served in the US Air Force.
Several of Santiago’s accomplishments include:
- Winner – 2022 Chief Investment Officer (CIO) Industry Innovation Awards – Sovereign Wealth Funds (Finalist, 2021)
- Advisory Board – International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds (IFSWF)
- Certification – Stanford Law School’s Directors’ College – Rock Center for Corporate Governance
- Board Leadership Fellow – National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), Washington, D.C.
- Alumni Council Member – University of Denver.
Santiago received an MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Denver.